Author Topic: 香港人  (Read 24860 times)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Re: 香港人
« Reply #10 on: 11 February 2010, 00:07:47 »

Were you asking Wongyan about numerical integrations?!  ;D

today I got a very funny experience...

I called 2 of my best friends (degree holder +....) for a technical help; however, both of them told me that "sorry, i am not capable of helping you coz I have nothing left about my study knowledge.... :-\ :-\ :-\ "

at that moment, i was totally startled coz in my concept these 2 guys are the most outstanding at school, i never dreamed of having such answer, i was sure they didn't lie to me coz from their voices i could feel a sense of sorry ~~~

while i was on the way back home, i thought is it because of well-instructed vs well-educated  ::) ::) ::)........ joking....hoping my 2 buddies don't mind what em saying

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #11 on: 11 February 2010, 00:29:27 »
The story is this.......I received a call this evening when I am rushing to my firm's annual dinner. My friend called me and asked if I can find someone to make an electronic devices for him. He will give us a sample and I have to figure out all the technical details as well as the circuitries. Given that I am an electrical engineer, not electronic engineer, I told him that I am not capable of doing so and I strongly recommend him contacting our friend, Mr. Wong.

I don't know the rest of the story but....I read his feeling now and feel really sorry about that.... ;D
« Last Edit: 11 February 2010, 00:54:38 by hangchoi »
「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 11 February 2010, 01:26:57 »
This is the funny thing about human and the use of language. We all have different perceptions for the same terms.

When I made the "well-instructed" vs "well-educated" comment back in 1994, I wasn't very clear or precise on the definitions. It was more of a fuzzy feeling or concept. Maybe much more fuzzy than the notation that "people look but not see, people heard but not listen."

At the time, when I was questioned by my HK companions about my comment, I wasn't able to articulate the definitions. (Maybe that's why the girl was angry at me for at least a few months.)

I was referring to people who only willing see what's right in front of them, but not care to find out the bigger pictures. I was referring to people who may memorize formulas well, but lacking motivation to learn new ideas without obvious immediate benefits. People who maybe smart but not wise. Even now I am not sure I can exactly define the difference.

Anyway, I recent found a picture taken in IYV in 1994. The picture is attached with a note made when I sent the picture to someone in around 1997 or 98. The note says "In Kagoshima. It was during this International Youth Village that I decided to start [my own business]." So I was probably very stupidly brave during those few days.  ;D

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2010, 18:54:46 »
I recently read two books. One is "港孩" and the other is "4代香港人"

In "港孩", it point out that the HK education policy do not encourage learning motive, but follow the program and trained to get high score. And this lead to lack of individual thinking. 

Just found this link from my friends... 13 years old and still cannot tie shoe laces, eat food with bone, etc...

http://the-sun.on.cc/cnt/news/20100523/00410_097.html

【SUN特搜記者李佩珩報道】「港男」、「港女」是近年人人掛在口邊的潮語,當全城仍在熱烈談論電車「港男」、巴辣「港女」之際,「港孩」也誕生了,並延續他們的「難頂」形象。「港孩」生於九十年代中後期,大多家境豐足,父母百般寵愛,有傭人全天候照顧,令他們缺乏自理能力、心智幼稚、自我中心及患上「王子、公主病」。這群「港孩」將是香港社會未來的主人翁,學者認為政府應從速制訂改善方法,否則他們會因競爭及抗逆能力低而無法接棒。