Public Zone 公開區 > Bookwyrm 書蟲天地

計得精彩

(1/4) > >>

kido:
Just got the book from chin.  The book introduces a great idea for open public to view horse racing in a systematical analytic way.  Tools like mathematics, excel files are used to illustrate the ideas.

I haven't formally started yet, but has found the the author tried not to use difficult math to scare people off, instead he was trying to do those math in the excel, and thus hiding the joy of reading the book.  :(

Also I am glad that he mentioned the Harville formula, which is a must in teaching his concepts, but on the other hand he didn't use the Henery's and Lo/Stern's model to illustrate further. 

Some statistical test, chi-test, p-value, which is quite interesting (to me, a non-math backgrounder). And this book will keep me busy for a while.

chin:
How far have you gone?

kido:
Read some of the chapters and slightly feel that the book is kind of... too much praise, too little explanation.  

Chapter 1 / 2 / 3 refer to the methods used by the convention 馬迷, probably needless to me (I skipped quite lot)  But a good point is that he was trying to quantify every parameters/conditions on the track.

Chapter 4 includes some stat., some little math.  Chapter 5 / 6 I think are the main theme of the book, somewhat too 'operational', not enough explanation for an ordinary people to understand.  And also the author expects reader  find out the answer from the Excel themselves.  Some readers may appreciate that if they don't like the maths, but it's just not adequate for people like me that love finding fact.

Chapter 8 is most fruitful so far, because he introduces (and describes) hedging and arbitrage on different pools. So it enlightens me and give a new way of thinking.

chin:
See, I told you so.  ;D

kido:
I think next step I'll do the dirty job -- to understand the excel by looking at those figures.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version