Public Zone 公開區 > Bookwyrm 書蟲天地

計得精彩

<< < (2/4) > >>

chin:

--- Quote from: kido on 18 September 2009, 19:56:43 ---I think next step I'll do the dirty job -- to understand the excel by looking at those figures.

--- End quote ---

Any progress report for the last two months?  ;)

kido:

--- Quote from: chin on 26 November 2009, 01:16:20 ---Any progress report for the last two months?  ;)

--- End quote ---

I have stopped drilling into that book anymore, however, it leads me to the door of qualitative (computational) gambling, regardless of whether it takes me in or not. 

But still this book is a good tutorial on the hedging. For example reducing the double pool into a win pool. Similarly reducing a place-Q pool to a place pool.

On the other hand, the 'expensive' book mentioned in this thread was a good reference in anytime.  There are quite some parts of the book that I never go thro' yet.  But it sound likes everyone is using the win odds to deduce the expected odds in the exotic pools. 

Everything in the 'expensive' book and 計得精彩 point to one thing: there needs to have a database of past records to verify the correctness of the calculations.  In fact this is a crucial step to build one to verify the any model deduced..

chin:
Yes, the database is a crucial part - a part that you have to have for further study but does not necessarily guarantee success.

One of the difficulties he has is the complexity and effort in maintaining that database on a on-going basis.

kido:

--- Quote from: chin on 26 November 2009, 12:39:22 ---Yes, the database is a crucial part - a part that you have to have for further study but does not necessarily guarantee success.

One of the difficulties he has is the complexity and effort in maintaining that database on a on-going basis.

--- End quote ---

Oh Chin, I brought the book with me tonite, but forgot to return it back to you. ( and also to wongyan, I have another book for you, holding for the whole night but also forgotten)

kido:
I've found a good link, I think it's very suitable for beginners if one finds interest. If I found this link months ago, then it must shorten my learning a lot. Don't know who is the author, but it's definitely useful.

電算機隱藏的祕密

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version