Author Topic: Poland, Germany, Denmark......  (Read 97747 times)

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
Re: Poland, Germany, Denmark......
« Reply #30 on: 24 April 2018, 22:29:13 »
The night scene of the central market and the stalls inside. The outside is another market selling handcrafts and food.
「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #31 on: 24 April 2018, 22:41:57 »
Next day we went to a salt mine, Kopalnia Soli Wieliczka. This salt mine has over 700 years of history and is still producing salt. It is also one of the 12 UNESCO first released in 1978.

Getting there from Krakow is easy, just by bus for half and hour. Advance booking is preferable but not that necessary, because you have to join a guided tour. They have 2 different routes for visitors to experience. Tourist route is about 3 hours long. It is a guided tour to walk you through the mine. Another option is Miner route, which you have to put on an overall and helmet and do a few hour of miner. You will get your certificate afterward. We picked the tourist route but at the end we think we should be the miner because we heard the "Miner" working when we were walking along the tourist route.

The mine is huge, with lots of information telling you the life and work of the miners in the old days. It is hardly imagined that they used log to support the structure of mine and as time went by, the logs were squeezed down into a pillar like structure.

The tourist route is full of sculpture made by the salt rock. It also has some sculpture showing the miner's life in the old days.
« Last Edit: 28 April 2018, 22:36:12 by hangchoi »

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #32 on: 24 April 2018, 22:44:47 »
In the middle of the tour we arrived at the assembly hall. A large area for workers to gather around. Every decoration and things are made of salt rock, including the pendent light.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #33 on: 24 April 2018, 22:46:04 »
They have a statue of John Paul II because the home town of John Paul II is Krakow. He had been there for a few times.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #34 on: 24 April 2018, 22:49:34 »
To produce salt, salt rock and underground water are used. Therefore, there are some ponds of underground water inside the 70m deep mine.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #35 on: 24 April 2018, 22:56:05 »
In addition to the tourist route, they also have a museum inside the mine showing the overall layout of the mine and the type of soil, salt, chemical they can extract. This museum is well informative. The first picture is the sectional layout of the mine. At that moment we were in the third layer of the mine, each layer is about 30m depth.

They also have some statue. Chopin again.

The last picture shows a model of the town of Wieliczka, where the mine is situated. You can map the city with the mine and we are just beneath the brightest building about 100m.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #36 on: 24 April 2018, 23:01:22 »
For our last day in Krakow, we spent our morning visiting the Schindler's factory. The factory operated by Mr. Oscar Schindler. The movie "The Schindler's List" told you about the function of this factory and we were visiting the real stuff. Now this factory is a museum talking about the history of Krakow during Nazi time. A long queue there so advance booking is recommended. It opens at 10:00am but when we arrived at 9:30am, there were a long queue (about 60 people) waiting for walk-in visit.

You should be familiar with the front door as this was filmed in the movie.

The second picture shows the word by Mr. Schindler.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #37 on: 24 April 2018, 23:04:47 »
They did not change the layout of the factory. Only putting the exhibits in different cabinets with lots of words. It covers the history of Krakow from about 1930 - 1950. This is the only place I see so many Nazi flags.  

The last picture shows the desk of Mr. Schindler.
« Last Edit: 25 April 2018, 21:34:42 by hangchoi »

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #38 on: 24 April 2018, 23:09:32 »
Krakow also has a Jewish Ghetto, which is about the midway between the royal castle and Schindler's factory. The area is quite and has a different style. A Jewish Church and some shops too.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #39 on: 24 April 2018, 23:13:49 »
We found a Chinese Restaurant. The menu has a drink using Goji. After a few thoughts we found that should be 杞子 (the second last item).

However, we did not go in to have Chinese food. Because we would leave Poland very soon so we decided to use up all our Poland currency. We gathered our  money and spent on an Italian restaurant near public square. The food were good.