Author Topic: Poland, Germany, Denmark......  (Read 97973 times)

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
Poland, Germany, Denmark......
« on: 24 April 2018, 11:06:18 »
This is the third time we spent my Easter in Europe. Unlike my previous two trips, this time I had a specific spot wanted to see, Auschwitz to be exact. I do think this is the right time because I am afraid that I would not want to go when I get older. Hence, my trip plan was that I had to enter Europe in Poland and the exit would depend on the air ticket offer, the cheapest got priority. Last Christmas when I had to decide the route, Warsaw - Copenhagen was the cheapest option and so there it was.

We picked the main skeleton of the trip, i.e. the cities that I would stay overnight, given that we would travel a number of different cities. Then we searched for the sightseeing spots and cuisine and made up our trip. Sounds like my trip planning 101.  Grin
« Last Edit: 24 April 2018, 17:09:35 by hangchoi »
「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
Re: Poland, Germany, Denmark......
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2018, 11:06:57 »
Again, most cheap air ticket to Europe are sold by the three Middle-East airlines. Qatar usually fits our schedule well because it offered a midnight flight to Doha (like 0:00 in HK) and arrvied at Europe in the afternoon of the same day. So we can finish our day of work, go home and wash up, have our dinner and start our trip.

My last trip to Italy also went via Doha and I had mentioned that there were 3 landmarks in Doha airport. Last time I got 2 and this time, with 3 hour transit time, I went to take pictures of all 3. Here is the third one. We also rode the overhead rail and walked around the shops.

BTW, if you have more than 5 hour transit time, you may apply to have a short city tour in Doha, offered by Qatar airline. They will take you out the airport and bring you back before your flight time. Last year this trip was free of charge but it seems that you have to pay some money for the tour now.
« Last Edit: 24 April 2018, 17:13:27 by hangchoi »

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2018, 11:12:21 »
We arrived at Warsaw in the afternoon. The city is much prosperous than we think. We stayed in a nice hotel somewhere near the central train station because we would only spend 1 night there. The first pic is the train station and the second a city view.

Hotel. The hotel price is comparatively cheap in Europe. A 4 star hotel is about HK$800 per night. Room is spacious with full facilities. I read an articles about the list of cheapest 5 star hotel in the world and Warsaw is in the third place.
« Last Edit: 24 April 2018, 17:14:31 by hangchoi »

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2018, 11:24:52 »
After we checked in, we took a bus to the old city. Bus ticket is cheap too in Poland, compared with the western Europe.

This first pic is the usual entrance of the public square of the old city. Kolumna Zygmunta III Wazy (the pole) was built to commemorate Zygmunta III, who moved the capital of Poland from Krakow to Warsaw. The second picture is the plac Zamkowy, the public square.

The third one is the mermaid monument. The original one was moved into museum. There is a myth that this mermaid would protect the city of Warsaw (hmmm....not quite so, as reflected by the history)
« Last Edit: 24 April 2018, 17:15:23 by hangchoi »

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2018, 11:30:03 »
From the old town square to the Holy Cross Church, there is a path for commemorating a famous pianist, Chopin. They built a few benches along this route and there was a button on the bench. If you press the button the bench will play a song by Chopin.

Walking down through this route you will pass the president office (2nd pic), Holy Cross Church (third) and Chopin museum (last)
« Last Edit: 24 April 2018, 17:16:19 by hangchoi »

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2018, 11:34:01 »
Chopin museum shows a lot of Chopin manuscript and his history. You may hear his music all the way during the visit. If you do not love classical, you may find it boring.

After that we had dinner at a restaurant and this was the first time I drank a white beer from Poland. It tasted a bit sour, like a sour dough bread. The mouthfeel is still creamy with good mousse. Not bad.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2018, 11:57:56 »
Second day we went to Łazienki Palace on foot, just a 15 minute walk from the hotel. The weather was cold but felt comfortable with the fresh air.

Łazienki Palace was once the bathing place of the royal family. It is situated in the largest city park in Warsaw. Baroque style with well decoration. Before we enter to the palace, we passed by the Chopin monument at the west entrance of the park.

The palace is in the middle of a pond. In summer, the view from the park is beautiful but what we had was a layer of ice on the surface of the pond, melting in the far end.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2018, 12:02:48 »
There is a special "guard" patrolling the palace, which someone said that this "guard" is the main theme to visit the palace. This peacock is huge and it walks around the palace. It is not afraid of people.
« Last Edit: 24 April 2018, 17:18:12 by hangchoi »

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2018, 12:06:29 »
A few pictures of the inside of the palace. The last one is the view from the park to the palace. If the sky is clear, you can imagine the reflection of the palace from the pond, which usually be used as the cover of a travel guide for Warsaw.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2018, 12:09:30 »
Our next spot is Warsaw Uprising Monument. A monument for 1944 Warsaw Uprising.