Author Topic: France and Netherland  (Read 105918 times)

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
Re: France and Netherland
« Reply #90 on: 15 April 2016, 11:55:44 »
After that, we went back to Amsterdam. It was the so called National Pillow Day and there was a pillow fight in Dam Square. We missed it. Anyway, we still had time to go to Rembrandt House Museum.
「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #91 on: 15 April 2016, 12:00:54 »
Finally the last day in Europe, we only had a morning to hangout as we would catch the late afternoon flight. We are suggested by our friends that we should go to visit Heineken brewery.

We were the first two visitors entered to the brewery that morning. This interesting copy of NIGTH WATCH attracted me immediately. If you take a detail look and compare with the real one, the people in the painting are holding a glass of Heineken.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #92 on: 15 April 2016, 12:07:03 »
The tour actually tells you how their beer is made, their labels and history. They still have horses for exhibition purpose, you can print your own label on beer bottle, etc. The tour is full of entertainment, they even have video game and karaoke for you to play and you can record your own video and email back to you. Very entertaining.

This is the first time I smell the hops. The last picture shows all the bottles that they have ever used.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #93 on: 15 April 2016, 12:11:22 »
Of course there was a beer tasting. The tour includes a tasting and 2 tokens. The tokens can be used to buy beer or attend a class for beer pouring.

The tasting is led by a beautiful lady. She explained why we should drink beer in a big gulp, not by sip. After the visit, I bought a beer that is stored at -2 degree. You can see the tap was frozen.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #94 on: 15 April 2016, 12:13:58 »
After the visit, we walked along the museum plaza before we headed back to hotel and picked our bags. We took these pictures on our way back.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #95 on: 15 April 2016, 12:20:31 »
Afterward, we were back to hotel and went to airport, time to go home. That finished our Easter holiday break.

After we were back to HK, yesterday I heard that Schipol airport suspected that there were some terrorists walking therein. The airport was under severe surveillance now. Hope that would be ok. In all, I found that Netherlands is a good place to visit. I really enjoy its environment, friendly people, nice architectures, and beautiful scene.

This place welcomes using bicycle. I think it is a brilliant idea to ride a bike for visiting, as the transportation cost is quite high and the city has very good bicycle track.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #96 on: 15 April 2016, 12:37:38 »
The last thing I want to say is about Paris.

Before we go, I heard a lot that Paris is dangerous, a lot of pickpocket and robbery, never travel by MTR, etc. After my trip, I would say that Paris is still comparatively safe. In most of the place where tourists will go, it is fine. Of course, you still have your duty to take care of your belongings and keep your money safe.  I am sure there are problems of pickpocket along the MTR lines, even the MTR broadcast tells you beware of them. There are also a lot of different people going to trick you for money, like endorsing whatever proposal, giving some invaluable hand string, etc., but this phenomenon happens not only in Paris, even someone may encounter the same in HK.

My observation may be subject to the recent attack in Paris. After the attack in November, all important buildings and tourist spot are heavily guarded by either police or even soldiers. I stay in Gare du Nord, which I was told many times by my friend that there is a thief's den. Now this train station is guarded by police outside and some soldiers patrolling inside. I can go out for dinner somewhere around Gare du Nord after 10:00pm.

Same as other spots. You have to pass 3 check points in order to get into Notra Dame. X-ray scan before entering any museum.

So it turns out more safe then you expect, though it is sad to have this kind of safety after attack.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: 19 April 2016, 16:57:56 »
Thank you for the nice report!

The sky in Paris was really good for photography.

I also like Holland, it's generally enjoyable walking around. We were there 2 summers ago.