Author Topic: Justice: What's the right thing to do?  (Read 13626 times)

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
Justice: What's the right thing to do?
« on: 08 May 2013, 10:19:30 »
This is written by Michael Sandel, a Harvard professor teaching political philosophy. His class was first held in 1980. At that time only a handful of student enrolled, but this course keeps increasing the number of enrollment. Now it has over 1000 enrollment every year. In 2009, Harvard decided to put this course open to public and produced a 12-hour TV series.

The course is a 24 hour course, like a standard academic lectures. It goes through the philosophical thinking about justice and it gives a good inspiration on jurisprudence and moral reasoning. It looks boring but it becomes more interesting to me when I keep reading, especially it uses a lot of good example.

In case you don't want to read the text, you may watch the video, it is on Youtube (search for justice: moral reasoning).
「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」

Offline kido

• SBC Old Boys
Re: Justice: What's the right thing to do?
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2013, 17:57:27 »
Ha ha,

I watched this youtube video about 2 years ago, dated back when the TVB programme 《天與地》was aired, and the discussion on whether the court case should make those guys (plural?) who commit cannibalism guilty.   I came across a forum and watch this very good video (and its eposide 2 & 3)
Hey, diddle, diddle ! The cat and the fiddle.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2013, 19:35:29 »
Ha ha,

I watched this youtube video about 2 years ago, dated back when the TVB programme 《天與地》was aired, and the discussion on whether the court case should make those guys (plural?) who commit cannibalism guilty.   I came across a forum and watch this very good video (and its eposide 2 & 3)

It is quite long.....12 episodes in total......it goes more difficult at the back
「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」

Offline kido

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2013, 11:07:16 »
It is quite long.....12 episodes in total......it goes more difficult at the back

Not until few days ago when I walked in a book store I found the name of the speaker, Michael Sandel, was populated in every shelf of the category "popular" books..... :o 
Hey, diddle, diddle ! The cat and the fiddle.