Author Topic: Chinese New Year in Hong Kong 農歷新年 (Feb 2005)  (Read 32632 times)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Re: Chinese New Year in Hong Kong 農歷新年 (Feb 2005)
« Reply #10 on: 26 February 2009, 05:23:30 »
More pictures of flowers stalls.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 26 February 2009, 05:24:00 »
The flower market is such a good photo opportunity that quite a few people come just to take pictures.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 26 February 2009, 05:24:31 »
While half of the market selling traditional flowers is virtually the same vendors year after year, the other half is totally different story.

The other half of the market is mainly selling toys and trendy gadgets. A large number of sellers are students organized short ventures into the commercial world. They each pitch in few thousand HK$, purchase trendy items from wholesalers, and trying to make a profit in the short market period. Profit for them is probably just a bonus. They may value the experience more.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 26 February 2009, 05:24:55 »
One of the toys on sale in the market.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 26 February 2009, 05:25:32 »
The coming year is the year of the Chicken, so chicken headwear is in.

(Some people call it the year of the rooster, but in Chinese, the zodiac is not gender specific.)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: 26 February 2009, 05:26:17 »
The TV station is doing a news reel about the flower market.

When I was taking the 3rd picture at the back of the news girl, the woman standing next to me was on the phone perhaps calling home. She wants to know if the broadcasting was live, and saying that a kid with her is ready to jump behind the news girl for his 3 second TV appearance.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2009, 05:27:11 »
New this year is the fringe political groups in the flower market raising fund.

The first two pictures is Long Hair who is no longer on the fringe after his election into the Legislative Council.

His election victory was unexpected even to himself. It was probably a product of mass miscalculation rather than the actual will of the people. I think it's not likely to happen again in the next election.

And Long Hair probably knows it too. From news I read, he does not show up much in the districts that elected him, and he is almost always late for meetings. You don't behave like that if you want to be reelected.

He has more showmanship than substance, and probably more apted to be a protester outside than a legislator inside.

The guy in the white clothes in the bottom picture also ran for the Legislative Council. He got only little bit over 100 votes, way short of the 50,000 or so required to secure a seat.

Common to both men is the lack of substance in their platform for constructive ideas.

While them campaigning with their loud speakers, the market's public announcement system repeatedly reiterate the rule that no amplified speakers are allowed in the markets. Legislator Long Hair set another fine example of disrespect for the rules and contracts (that he must had signed to get the stall space.)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 26 February 2009, 05:28:01 »
My best booty from the flower market has to be the peach blossom. In fact it's the best I ever had as far as I can remember.

It's double petaled & has hundreds of flowers. The flowers started to bloom on Chinese New Year day on 9-Feb-05.

I will try to take a picture every day or so to document the progress.

See next pages for full bloom and close up of flowers.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: 26 February 2009, 05:31:03 »
 :)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: 26 February 2009, 05:31:36 »
 :)