Author Topic: 2012 Spring, New England, USA  (Read 79714 times)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
2012 Spring, New England, USA
« on: 13 February 2012, 18:57:23 »
Another trip to US during the short Chinese New Year holiday.

The purpose of this trip was to visit some schools. I did not bring the larger camera with better lenses. All pictures were taken with a small digicam.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Cushing Academy
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2012, 19:00:21 »
First school to visit was Cushing Academy. The school was founded in 1865, it will be 150 years old soon.

1st picture is the main building when approaching the school. 2nd picture is the main building taken right outside the library.
« Last Edit: 13 February 2012, 19:39:45 by chin »

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Cushing Academy
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2012, 19:05:28 »
View of the library from inside and outside.

Note that there is not too many books in view here. We were told that the library has "gone digital" - books were now in Amazon Kindle format. Library users would borrow the books on a Kindle. I think physical books are too expensive to acquire and maintain.

Inside the library is also the student run radio station. It's basically a few iMac with playlists. I don't remember if the radio station is online only.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Cushing Academy
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2012, 19:07:36 »
Outside and inside the math & science building. Everything in view in the exterior picture is part of the school

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Cushing Academy
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2012, 19:08:20 »
Some random pictures inside the math & science building.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Cushing Academy
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2012, 19:11:28 »
The cafeteria looks quite big and comfy for the 500 or so students.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Cushing Academy
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2012, 19:13:31 »
Student artwork planted on campus, post office, and notice inside the girls dormitory regarding visiting hours for boys.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Cushing Academy
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2012, 19:18:30 »
Open space with downward slope, covered with snow. So what students would do?! In my university days, students would take a tray from cafeteria and sled down the slope!! I am sure high school students would do the same, thus the need for this sign.

And in the student center, I found out that students these days do not have to do their own laundry. They can just drop their dirty clothes inside the laundry bag and pay someone to do it.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Cushing Academy
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2012, 19:20:54 »
Another random picture taken at the campus.

On the day we visited, it was a surprise holiday (called by the principal) thus there was no classes. We think that the sudden holiday was called because many students and teachers were sick, maybe from the weather...
« Last Edit: 13 February 2012, 22:12:18 by chin »

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Cushing Academy
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2012, 19:31:51 »
[hide]
Cushing was the first school we visited, and I was quite impressed. The campus and facilities are good and very large for only a few hundred students. My high school in HK had at least twice as many students but only 1/20 the area.

I was quite impressed about the school... until I visited the next one. The other two school we visited just seem far more "rich" in appearance and feel.

I am "hiding" this message so the content cannot be read by search engines.
[/hide]