Author Topic: Vietnam-ho chi minh(越南-胡志明市)  (Read 78412 times)

Offline q

• Quan
Re: Vietnam-ho chi minh(越南-胡志明市)
« Reply #40 on: 03 May 2011, 08:48:45 »
I agree with Chin's evaluation of the golf courses.

After our holiday I would not recommend Ho Chi Minh for a golf trip, but other places in Vietnam may be better suited.  Also, I would choose a different time of year to play as it was very hot and humid, and by the 3rd day I found the last 4-5 holes very tiring.

Offline wongyan

• SBC Old Boys
Re: Song Be Golf Resort
« Reply #41 on: 03 May 2011, 16:51:23 »
Song Be has three 9-hole course - Lotus, Palm & Desert.

On checking in, we saw the sign that says Palm was "coring", so we chose to play Lotus then Desert. We then found out that the sign was incorrect as it was Desert that was coring. No wonder no one else played in "desert".

It was a very hot day.
Thomas' addressing posture keeps improving!!
Never stop Learning, Never stop Earning!!
哲人無憂,智者常樂。並不是因為所愛的一切他都擁有了,而是所擁有的一切他都愛。

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: 03 May 2011, 23:04:39 »
I found some more pictures in my kid's camera.

First is the local money we changed when check in at the hotel. The stack of bills was probably 2 to 3 inches thick!

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: 03 May 2011, 23:06:01 »
Because everything is priced in the thousands.

The cheapest dinner for our group of about 10 people: almost 1 million VND. The most expensive dinner was over 10,000,000 VND.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: 03 May 2011, 23:07:08 »
Food and fruit sellers on the street of HCM.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: 03 May 2011, 23:11:03 »
I was playing golf in that morning, but my family went for a local tour. They saw this couple taking bridal pictures, and my kid joined in the shooting!

Then at dinner that told me about the cheesy wedding photos, how the bride did not really seem to enjoy the photo shooting, how the photographer was moving the couple's faces to get the "right" angle, etc...

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: 03 May 2011, 23:11:49 »
Vietnam is a motorcycle country.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: 03 May 2011, 23:24:32 »
In the morning I read the local English language newspaper. A few of the news items that I remember:

- inflation running high, the central government is determined to control inflation at around 13%, GDP growth at 6%. (At these rates, the economic growth is all eaten up by inflation!)

- the country is running trade deficit, with one of the main reason being large import of luxury goods.

- a luxury car deal was able to swindle a dozen of wealth people total US$24 million, then fled to the US. The swindle involved a bag of different tricks, like getting the customers to buy 11 expensive cars but convince the customer to leave behind the registration paper, so the deal can re-mortgage the cars; Or getting the landlord to provide the land and the paper, then he turned around to sell or mortgage the land; When the cheater ran away with his wife, to change lots of the money into diamonds.

The above stories just gave the impression that the country is growing fast economically, but the wealth gap is very large. So large that the importation of luxury goods, like imported cars, actually factored prominently in the trade figure.

Or the fact that while regular workers earn about US$200 per month, some people actually have millions lying around to be cheated by a perhaps very charismatic car dealer. This perhaps means there is really opportunities everywhere for the well connected. Some of the victims who got cheat was perhaps thinking that they were onto some incredible investment scheme - otherwise how do you explain people buying 11 expensive cars but leave them with the dealer.

Anyway, when I saw this picture my kid's taken on the street of HCM city, I couldn't help but relate this to the wealth gap I read about in the newspaper.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #48 on: 04 May 2011, 13:42:57 »
Don't know why I have an impression that the golf courses in Vietnam looks like the same as we played in Taiwan.

But it looks nice from your pictures.
「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: 04 May 2011, 14:13:34 »
Don't know why I have an impression that the golf courses in Vietnam looks like the same as we played in Taiwan.

But it looks nice from your pictures.

The Song Be one was really in the middle of the village, and more "natural" in the sense that there are lots of fallen leaves, dried branches, etc... on the course.