Author Topic: 中學畢業旅行 之 台灣遊 (2011年3月)  (Read 110156 times)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Re: 中學畢業旅行 之 台灣遊 (2011年3月)
« Reply #60 on: 26 April 2011, 01:16:26 »
On one side of the hotel is a temple on a small hill. The hill was very steep that they get their supplies by this cable trolley.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: 26 April 2011, 01:33:09 »
On the other side of the hotel, there were a few colorful buildings. I did not get a chance to check out what they were. Further back, I saw a large statue and apparently a monument of some sort. After reading the sign in this photo, I am guessing it was a monument for Wen Tian Xiang 文天祥.

From what I understood, a few years after Kuomingtang lost mainland China and retreated to Taiwan, they decided that they need to have an east-west road through the high mountains in the middle of Taiwan. After the road was built, this particularly scenic spot was named Tian Xiang Taroko and was slated to be a tourism spot. Tian Xiang was referring to a heroic figure in the Chinese history.

In the photo below, you can see that the Chinese words which roughly mean "Wen Tian Xiang, hero of the Chinese people" was defaced. I can only guess that it's the work of Taiwan independence supporters. During the ruling of Chen Shui Bian, the government tried hard to rid Chinese names and Chinese concepts, replaced by Taiwan or Taiwanese ones.

I took the second picture trying to show how large the rocks were - the road and the tunnel entrance was two laned, and the rocks in the river were easily many  times the size of the tunnel entrance!

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: 26 April 2011, 01:48:37 »
After breakfast, we decided to walk to the nearby scenic spots by foot.

The first picture was just 1km or so out of the hotel. The temple is still visible on the hill. On the left side of the tunnel entrance, you can still see the old road that was crafted out of the rocks! This was just the beginning of many many such scenes. During our 5 hours walk, we have walk passed many tunnels.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: 26 April 2011, 01:57:56 »
The first picture was taken in the first scenic spot Lu Shui 綠水. After a few steps up and a small dark tunnel, we were on a path parallel to the highway below. On this path, there was a tomb stone crafted out of a very large rock (around 3 meters tall) commemorating a few Japanese soldiers died in the initial construction of the road into Taroko.

From what I understood, the Japanese colonized Taiwan after the Russo-Japan war, but they were mainly ruling the large coastal area. After a war with the Taroko people, the Japanese decided that they need a road into the mountain if they are to rule the area effectively. There were supposedly more than 100 similar tomb stones for the dead Japanese soldiers. Of course, the labors who built the road were Chinese and indigenous Taiwanese people, and probably thousands died in the construction and conquest.

Along the scenic route are nice and well prepared camp site. In the second picture, you can see the pre-built elevated platforms to setup tents! There were also toilets and water supply, and instructions to other nearby camp sites.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: 26 April 2011, 02:00:14 »
A bit further down was this suspension bridge. In the second picture you can see my shadow on the river, and get an idea of how large the rocks were.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: 26 April 2011, 02:13:05 »
The warning sign on the other side of the suspension bridge. It's very clear that you need to be well equipped to walk this path. A good hiking boot would be a start.

On our side of the suspension bridge is a small rest area named Yue Wang Ding (岳王亭) - Pagoda of Yue Fei.

Yue Fei (岳飛) is another heroic Chinese general in the Song dynasty, a time when the Chinese empire was constantly attacked by the "barbarians" from the west and north. The imperial court was divided - to fight or to seek peace by giving concessions. Yue Fei fought and won many battles, only to be betrayed by the prime minister who made secret deals with the invaders.

Offline kai

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #66 on: 27 April 2011, 22:13:26 »
Chin:  Good Job!  Very detailed report on the accident and the sights we had visited.
The only limit is your creativity.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: 03 May 2011, 01:43:52 »
OK I am back and continue to post more pictures.

The followings are two more pictures showing how incredible the terrain and how small man-made structures compare to natures.

In the 2nd pictures, the rock on top of the cement supporting structure is simple huge!

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: 03 May 2011, 01:46:07 »
The red bridge is 慈母橋 and the picture above with two card was taken from the small pagoda on the big rock.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: 03 May 2011, 01:47:59 »
These two pictures clear show how the road was crafted out from the mountain.