Author Topic: 中學畢業旅行 之 台灣遊 (2011年3月)  (Read 110581 times)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Re: 中學畢業旅行 之 台灣遊 (2011年3月)
« Reply #50 on: 26 April 2011, 00:18:36 »
The only reason I was able to take the above picture was because our van stopped at what we initially thought was a traffic jam. As we saw other people getting out of their vehicles, we figured that it's going to be a long delay. I took my camera and went ahead to see what happened.

About 100 meters ahead of our van was the entrance to the Ao Hua Tunnel 澳花隧道. A BMW passenger car collided with an on coming truck!

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: 26 April 2011, 00:24:04 »
It was around 17:15. The accident must just happened a few minutes ago. The firemen were trying to cut through the metal, while some other people trying to comfort and help the driver. He was trapped inside with the roof of his car collapsed on him.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: 26 April 2011, 00:27:43 »
Apparently the fireman's attempt to cut through the metal wasn't successful.

I think it was at the initiation of the civilians, a few people nearby started to pull the front hood away so they can access the driver easier.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: 26 April 2011, 00:32:28 »
They then again use their hands to pull up the roof a bit, so someone can get inside the back seats to get some medical help to the driver.

Eventually, they figured that the steering wheel column was collapsed and trapping the driver's lower body inside. They moved a lift truck, chained the steering wheel, and was able to lifted up the steering wheel, and somewhat freeing the injured driver.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: 26 April 2011, 00:39:58 »
At the moment, I was considering getting closer to take close up photos. However I could see that the lifting arm was sort of pulling the BMW slightly side way, and I was afraid that the cable may snap and would pose great dangers to people around.

In the following picture, you can see the front half of the BMW was lifted up a few inches.

Eventually the urge to take more photos over taken my fear, and I went up. And then another accident almost happened. As the lifting arm was pulling the BMW straight up, and the ground was very slippery with leaked oils, suddenly the who BMW wreckage was sliding to toward me for maybe 2 or 3 feet, pushing the people around it.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: 26 April 2011, 00:42:28 »
In this picture, the front hood, the roof, and the steering wheel column were all lifted up, two firemen got into the car trying to free the driver. By this time, the driver wasn't moving much.

At around 17:46, or about 30 mins after the initial crash, the driver was freed. People was speaking in Taiwanese, and I can only guess that someone said the driver was still moving.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: 26 April 2011, 00:58:21 »
This was the first ever that I witnessed such a serious accident and the rescue effort up close.

Almost at all time, I was thinking many things. Fore most was what can I do to help. People were speaking in Taiwanese which I don't understand, and there were many people around already. It seemed quite helplessly standing there trying to help. Eventually I didn't do anything, beside helped a bit to pull up the front hood.

The second things that I considered most while taking pictures were deciding to stay or to move away. I was very conscious trying not to take up any space that the rescue workers may need. Yet inside me that was also the urge to take photos up close. Our driver repeatedly pull me away from the scene, and I was thankful for his considerations.

In some of the pictures able, you can see that there were maybe 20 other people standing nearby watching. I wonder if they were like me - trying to help but didn't know how. A few of them just using their phone or small digicam taking pictures. I can see that besides the official rescue workers, there was a core group of a handful of passerby (in shorts and slippers) who was almost guiding the effort to free the driver. Again my observation could be wrong as I don't understand their language. But a few times I can see that the initiative to use hands to lift up the hood & roof, the gestures to get the lift up truck up front to release the steering wheel, all seemed to come from the plain clothed people. I wonder how much a factor to the timing of the rescue, if there were more onlookers rather than action takers?

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: 26 April 2011, 01:01:54 »
This photo was taken on the way back. You can see the road was effectively crafted out from the rocks!

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: 26 April 2011, 01:08:28 »
We eventually arrived at our hotel Silks Place Taroko 太魯閣晶英 (taroko.silksplace.com.tw) at around 20:30. It was very dark already so we couldn't really tell how the surrounding was like.

This is the inner courtyard of the hotel.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: 26 April 2011, 01:15:01 »
In the morning I got the chance to walk around the outside.

And what a magnificent place it was! The hotel was built on some big rocks were two rivers meet, and is surrounded by big mountains & huge rocks.