Author Topic: Taipei 台北遊 (Dec-2010)  (Read 134039 times)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Re: Taipei 台北遊 (Dec-2010)
« Reply #20 on: 29 December 2010, 05:33:37 »
More cats on the roof top. And this kind of tar roof top is also typical of old houses in Jiu Fen. In the material I read, they called the tar sheets "black cloth 黑布". They were widely used because they are water proof.

The tar roof in the second photo seemed so broken already.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: 29 December 2010, 05:34:17 »
One more picture of cat, before we move on from Jiu Fen.  :)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
2010 Floroal Expo
« Reply #22 on: 29 December 2010, 05:48:38 »
Before the trip, I already heard about the large floral expo in Taipei and planed to visit. From their web site and other report, the Expo has 4 sites. But only after I arrived then i realized the 4 sites are actually next to each other and walking distant away.

One of the newspaper reports on the floral expo was effectively saying the floral is as big a deal as the just-finished Shanghai World Expo. I think it maybe true for people in the green plant business, but for layman like me, the scale of the floral expo is much much smaller.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: 29 December 2010, 05:55:09 »
After reading the official floral expo web site and some news report, we decided to visit the 新生園區 first. The most popular attraction in this site is the 夢想館 Pavilion of Dreams, pictured below. But when we arrived, all the tickets were allocated for the day.

Too bad. But on the other hand, we have seen so many impressive hi-tech pavilions in the Shanghai Expo, I didn't think we missed too much in the hi-tech focused Pavilion of Dreams.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: 29 December 2010, 05:56:23 »
The flower beds near the entrance.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: 29 December 2010, 05:59:33 »
The site has many funny looking rest stops.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: 29 December 2010, 06:00:13 »
More pictures later. I will take a break now.

Offline kai

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #27 on: 29 December 2010, 16:43:03 »
Good! Please upload more photos!  I am thinking a place to go for Chinese New Year, Taiwan may be my choice.  Does the foral expo end by that time? ???
The only limit is your creativity.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #28 on: 29 December 2010, 17:34:23 »
Never been there before.

I knew that Taiwan has long been influenced by Japan than PRC, given that they were ruled by Japanese for more than 50 years...
「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: 29 December 2010, 17:48:17 »
Kai, see www.2010taipeiexpo.tw
The Floral Expo last until late Apr 2011. Still have plenty of time.
All my pictures already processed. I just need to upload and write the comments.

Hang, one of my school mates in university was from the family that found or owned Samsonite (the luggage brand.) He is Chinese from Taiwan, but sometimes spoke to his parents in Japanese. I was told that the older generation, especially those who prospered under Japanese rules, still can speak Japanese. For the very young generation, the attraction is the Japanese pop culture. On the street of Taipei, you can see many language schools advertising classes in American English and Japanese.

The reason I made a note about the Japanese influence is because I heard Japanese in many shops, and upscale restaurants, and in a pro-independence protest in the Palace Museum.

I think overall the influence of traditional Chinese culture is still much stronger. In fact, as I commented on the 大江大海 book, Taiwan may have preserved more traditional Chinese culture than the mainland China.

BTW I am kind of surprised that I was not the only one who had never been to Taiwan until recently. :)
Go visit during the Chinese New Year.