Author Topic: Firefox  (Read 42590 times)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Firefox
« on: 29 November 2010, 00:07:31 »
I have been using FF almost exclusively for about 1 year, initially because of distrust of IE. I still have IE installed however because there are some sites only work properly with IE.

For my work we have proxy servers around the world. I have been using a powerful FF addon FoxyProxy which allows me to config how I divert my traffics. I can set which pattern to use which proxy server, etc... The result was generally very good.

I especially hate ads that targets me because they made me feel being watched all the time. Now I am sitting at home and the ads would appear as if I live in London or Pittsburgh.  ;D No more Chinese ads asking me to sign up Three Kingdom games when I visit a US forum.

Anyway today I was reading this web site and found another nice powerful tool Noscript that allows me to set specific permission on Java script. Therefore I can specifically allow Java script from one site but not the other. Now I can visit sites without them running funny stuff on my PC. At least not as many as before.

Just remember that Noscript installed with default trusted sites. Get rid of them right after installation, build you own list from scratch.

http://www.flatstats.co.uk/ppp/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13612

To quote one post in the above link, and the reason I am getting more and more suspicious of Google, Facebook, Microsoft, etc...

Fear less of your identity being swiped by eastern block crims. Fear more of the CEOs of the biggest information hoarders on the net:

Eric Schmidt, the CEO of Google
“Google policy is to get right up to the creepy line and not cross it.”

"We don’t need you to type at all. We know where you are. We know where you’ve been. We can more or less know what you’re thinking about."

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
quoted when first setting up Facebook at Harvard:

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask.

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don't know why.

Zuck: They "trust me"

Zuck: Dumb f***s.

What facebook has done since then, with advertising beacons, total disregard to user privacy settings, storing of information is nothing compared to the early days in college.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2010, 02:38:15 by chin »

Offline wongyan

• SBC Old Boys
Re: Firefox
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2010, 00:07:55 »
me2! I've switched to Firefox for long since I simply cannot accept the slow response of the "mouse-on" from IEs.  The only problem I have using Firefox is that they have strange behaviour over MS exchange webmail that I need to use.

Well, overall a good experience using FF.
Never stop Learning, Never stop Earning!!
哲人無憂,智者常樂。並不是因為所愛的一切他都擁有了,而是所擁有的一切他都愛。

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2010, 23:03:02 »
I replace my web browser from IE to Firefox tonight, together with all those Add-ons.

My first impression is that it loads stuff faster than IE....and I start working on blocking scripts, etc.......
「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」

Offline kido

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2010, 00:32:02 »
I abandoned IE long time since I knew FF ages ago. I can't remember how long I've been on FF, only knew I was FF's die hard fans since it launched.  And there were a lot of add-on(s) that kept my addiction to the FF. 

But one day I found google launch Chrome, and I tried on it, the experience was amazing that it just get to any pages with lightning speed, and after that I no longer use FF. (and also those awesome add-ons.)

Hey, diddle, diddle ! The cat and the fiddle.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2010, 01:19:23 »
I abandoned IE long time since I knew FF ages ago. I can't remember how long I've been on FF, only knew I was FF's die hard fans since it launched.  And there were a lot of add-on(s) that kept my addiction to the FF. 

But one day I found google launch Chrome, and I tried on it, the experience was amazing that it just get to any pages with lightning speed, and after that I no longer use FF. (and also those awesome add-ons.)

My main reason to use FF is not for the speed, but the for the privacy and security. I would avoid as many Google products as I can, including Chrome.

Offline wongyan

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2010, 21:41:17 »

what kinds of Add-ons you like most??

Is Chrome much faster than FF?  More details please
Never stop Learning, Never stop Earning!!
哲人無憂,智者常樂。並不是因為所愛的一切他都擁有了,而是所擁有的一切他都愛。

Offline kai

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2010, 17:25:38 »
It is interesting to know though I have never tried either FF or Chrome. ;)
The only limit is your creativity.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 09 December 2010, 18:01:26 »
It is interesting to know though I have never tried either FF or Chrome. ;)

You should try FF. :)

Offline kido

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #8 on: 10 December 2010, 00:36:49 »
what kinds of Add-ons you like most??

Is Chrome much faster than FF?  More details please

In terms of speed, I can't stand with FF's speed now.  FF somehow falls in the problems of IE : getting bulkier, getting slower.

If I remember correctly, the addon are:

- sage (a simple RSS feed reader)

- the gdrive (something like that, treat your gmail account as a drive..)

- a global bookmarker (this one really can't remember the name, which stores your bookmarks on the net instead of store it locally)

I knew Chrome is Google's product, each time I open it I remind to myself Chrome is a piece of 'meaningful' software in a big project.  But there seems little difference if my online-self has already stuck to :

Youtube(Video)

Gmail(Email)

Google Sync (with my iPhone)

Dictionary ( Google dictionary)

Maps (Google maps)

and Google Docs (online documents).

Later it will sweep my desktop, in form of Chrome OS.
Hey, diddle, diddle ! The cat and the fiddle.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 30 December 2010, 22:27:18 »
[hide]
I had some friends came to my office last night, and I knew they would post pictures in Facebook. So I log in today into facebook.

FB trys to recommend 'friends' to me. I was shock to see my neighbor on the recommended list! I have her phone number, maybe spoke to her 5 times. How the hell FB knows I may know her!!! This is getting worse by the day.

More reason to block cookies and programs from FB, google, etc... Why would you guys want to use Chrome?!
[/hide]