Author Topic: A fun day on a sail boat  (Read 20336 times)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
A fun day on a sail boat
« on: 07 October 2010, 02:22:06 »
On 3-Oct-2010, we joined Gary and his family for a day on his sail boat.

On a regular power boat, a 40-footer can probably accommodate 20 people, but on a sail boat, 12 is already crowded.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Re: A fun day on a sail boat
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2010, 02:24:37 »
As soon as we were out to the sea, the kids all went out to the bow. To enjoy the breeze, and the sea waves hitting legs dangling out.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2010, 02:26:12 »
Whenever a fast power boat passed, the wave it created would threw our boat up high and drop quick to the low of the waves.

The kids loved it, but one or two sea sicking adults....  ;D

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2010, 02:27:57 »
Lunched at a small fishing village near Saikung. This village is only accessible by boat or by hiking.

This village dog joined us for lunch.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2010, 02:31:05 »
After lunch, we were going to set sail and to find a swimming spot.

Then we found out anchor stuck with something. Our boatman went down for inspection, and found a net, tire and other garbage.

Gary's was prepared to cut the net with this cooking chopper.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2010, 02:33:23 »
From the pictures, you probably can already see lots of ropes, pulleys, and other equipments on this sail boat.

The last time I went with this boat, the boatman then was able to up hoist the two sails, control the boat, then took down the sails all by himself!

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2010, 02:35:06 »
Now the we were trying to start hoist the sail, and do some real sailing.

June, our Philippino captain, was doing this almost all by himself.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2010, 02:39:14 »
June at work!

My friend "borrowed" June from a friend, because his own captain left the job. I was told that it's not easy to find a replacement because there are not many boatman who knows sail boat. Finding a regular power boat captain is a lot easier.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2010, 02:47:27 »
June said he has been working with the same employer in Hong Kong for 12 years. And the last time he set sail was 3 years ago.

The boat owners in Hong Kong mostly prefer power boats. Looking at my pictures taken at the marina, out of the total 200 or so berths, about 50 boats were at the berths, and only 5 or so sailboats.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2010, 02:52:35 »
I ask June why he kept looking up.

I was told that when hoisting the sail, the boat needs to be heading into the wind, and this was done by observing the wind arrow on top of the mast. And when sailing, the little pieces of "tails" on the sail would indicate the efficiency of the sailing. Thus the captain needs to keep looking at the sail.

Anyway, after a while, one of us was getting seasick. We thus decided to lower the sail and turn on the engine. June almost single handedly completed the transformation, with my friend steadying the boat. (I was supposed to help but was too busy taking pictures.  ::))