Author Topic: Studio Portrait - Melody Chan (28-Sep-2010)  (Read 65603 times)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Studio Portrait - Melody Chan (28-Sep-2010)
« on: 29 September 2010, 01:29:29 »
We went to the same studio to take pictures with model Melody Chan. I am still processing the photos.

I just noticed from her own web site that she's actually from the stable of our neighbor Big Honor. In fact she ranked 4th on the Big Honor list.
http://www.bighonor.com.hk/page.php?id=actor&iid=4

OK one picture only for now. More to come when I finish processing them...

Offline oo8

• Quan
Re: Studio Portrait - Melody Chan (28-Sep-2010)
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2010, 01:34:37 »
What a coincidence!

I also just found out and trying to post it here.  :o

http://www.bighonor.com.hk/page.php?id=actor&iid=4

Offline oo8

• Quan
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2010, 01:45:23 »
And she was upstairs watching the World Cup Final 2010. . . . .  :o

http://www.bighonor.com.hk/page.php?id=newsContent&nid=103

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2010, 02:33:41 »
Funny! I wonder if we invite her to be the model to have a photo session in our office, would that be a problem?

Just imagine in the elevator, she bump into the Big Honor people, and would she tell them that she's in the building freelancing? Or maybe the contract with Big Honor does not blind her full time.

Anyway, the following is the big head shot in the beginning. This one kind of look like a passport photo.  ;D

This time I did not do any skin smoothing. Just a very small crop. Her eyes really look like the HK government ad about littering. Can you find the picture of that ad?

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2010, 02:46:31 »
OK, here's the photos and review of this session.

The model is a lot more friendlier and relaxed than Christy Yan we had before. Now that we know she's from the stable of an entertainment company, it's almost certain that she had a lot more experience performing and showing. This was a big plus for this session.

Before going into the regrets, here is another big head shot. There is no alternation other than small cropping then resize.

One of the reasons I like this picture is very technical in nature - it was sharply focused and resolved by the 85mm lens. Even the facial hairs are very clear.  ;D

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2010, 03:55:22 »
This was one of the regular photo activities organized by the studio. They first book the model, then publish the usually 3 available time slots. This time we were only able to get the last slot. The group before us finished late, thus our time was shortened. Before we sort out all the technical problems, our time was up.  ???

The next time we should book the earlier time slots, or just book the who event. Besides time and timing, the second problem was equipment issues from the studio and my own preparation.

Anyway, one good thing was that the guy manning the studio, Penny, was really trying to setup interesting lighting for us. After hearing my wish to create shadows, he set this up. The effect was not as strong as I would like to, but was quite good.

BTW Melody knew her way around there, and just pick up this prop and posed.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 29 September 2010, 04:00:47 »
I think the texture of the wall was quite good.  :)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 29 September 2010, 04:22:36 »
I used two cameras today.

One was using color temperature 5500K for white balance, while the other one was using auto white balance. (White balance is the process to tell the camera's computer what's white, thus how all colors relate to each other.) The lenses were also different.

The pictures came out very differently from these two cameras. Which one you like better?

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 29 September 2010, 04:27:02 »
These pictures were taken with a 85mm lens on a full frame camera, and I had to stand far away in order not to cut out her feet.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 29 September 2010, 04:29:12 »
These two were taken with a 16-80 zoom on camera with smaller APS size sensor. I can take the picture up close and still have rooms on the sides.