Author Topic: The Wine Pocket Bible  (Read 12270 times)

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
The Wine Pocket Bible
« on: 29 June 2010, 13:22:11 »
I bought this book from bookdepository.co.uk and intended to finish it during my flight to Canada. However, due to the various entertainment I had on-flight, this book turned into my bedtime reading.

Don't be fooled by the title of this book. This is not a bible at all. Conversely, this is just a simple guide of the world of wine. It has 8 main chapters:
1. How wine is made
2. Varieties of Grape
3. Wine Regions of the World
4. Enjoying wine
5. Wine and Food
6. Buying wine
7. Stroing wine
8. Wine and Health

The whole book has only 191 pages from preface to index. Chapter 3 is the longest one, as expected.

I would say that this book does give one a simple introduction to the world of wine, but some information may be too simple that it does not tell the whole story. Some information I may not agree with it too, with respect.

Anyhow, it is quite an easy book for those who wants to know a bit more about wine.
「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Re: The Wine Pocket Bible
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2010, 01:11:14 »
The Bible is a pitch book. So this wine book could serve the same purpose - to pitch (soft sell) wine to new comers. If my logic goes, the book name is fine.

BTW I found out that I had a copy of Hugh Johnson's Wine purchased from Page One in 1999. :)

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2010, 01:28:56 »
Agree. Somehow this book will tell you which domaine/winery should be looked for in certain regions without further description. Is this a kind of "soft-sell"?

HJ's wine book? His annually wine pocket guide or what? Do you have the full name of it?

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2010, 01:33:37 »
Agree. Somehow this book will tell you which domaine/winery should be looked for in certain regions without further description. Is this a kind of "soft-sell"?

HJ's wine book? His annually wine pocket guide or what? Do you have the full name of it?

In the case of wine (and many products of some complexity,) education is a soft sell. The stories, true or not, intrigue the reader. Who then would like to look for the wine and try. The same effect from the wine comic books.

I think the book is really just called "Hugh Johnson's Wine". It's really an introduction book, brieftly talk about all regions, white, red, before dining, after diner, etc... It's in the new office now. I think I bought the book after a wine tasting on a cruise. It was in Aug 1999.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2010, 01:56:24 »
Thanks. I heard of that book before, as someone told me that this is a good book. Seems I have more things to do in your new office.  ;D