Author Topic: Mondovino  (Read 41452 times)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Re: Mondovino
« Reply #20 on: 15 July 2010, 01:37:33 »
Don't forget they are farmers who rely almost completely on their land. And don't forget that they can also maintain a lot more dignity when not dirt poor, like those in less developed countries.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #21 on: 16 July 2010, 11:26:46 »
An observation is that the different systems of Bordeaux / Burgundy did enforce the people's view on the globalization.

I see that those "modernised" winemakers do not have a better understanding of "terroir" than those small burgundian makers. The system that Bordeaux is using is actually a "brand" system while Burgundy is using a system by location. So I am quite sure that the bordeaux makers will blend the grapes from different vineyards.

Hence, those bordeaux winemakers do not fight much on takeover, etc. as they see their wine as a branded product, while burgundians see their wine as a local craft.
「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #22 on: 21 July 2010, 22:33:31 »
Finished watching all.......

Somehow I am still against "globalization" but worried about the survival of those small wine makers...... :-\

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: 21 July 2010, 22:52:09 »
Finished watching all.......

Somehow I am still against "globalization" but worried about the survival of those small wine makers...... :-\

It's good to see the other side of things. The good thing about it is that it creates lots of wealth for some people, and bring down prices generally (may be not in the case of wine, but in many other goods.)

The bad thing is that the little guys, including those with special crafts and niches, are priced out or forced out. And the world ended up more uni-cultural. And may ended up less tolerant of difference.

BTW we are now facing the ugly face of sort of globalization right at our door step, right at our face - that is the potential lost of Cantonese in a few generations.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #24 on: 21 July 2010, 23:29:40 »
You mean the "Potunghau-lization" in GuangDong??  >:(

I don't know why.....Did the PRC government want to unify the pronunciation and wordings of Chinese language? That's stupid. UK has the size of Guangdong province but they have more than 20 accents of British English........

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: 22 July 2010, 01:19:53 »
You mean the "Potunghau-lization" in GuangDong??  >:(

I don't know why.....Did the PRC government want to unify the pronunciation and wordings of Chinese language? That's stupid. UK has the size of Guangdong province but they have more than 20 accents of British English........

Well, I'd like to say again that you may not agree with what they do, but they are not stupid. (OK, may be they are in this case...)

I can see perfectly why SOME in the government would like to put Putonghua first. See my Tibet story below. The reason could be totally legitimate in a macro view. Again, in this case I I do not think it's necessary, and I hope the idea does not come from the top of the central government.

When I went to Tibet in 2004, one of the most striking scenes is how with ease kids would come to us asking for money. At the same time I can see that it's a very common practice to hand out small money. (Read my story, especially 32 & #7.) During and after the trip, I was thinking about how the Tibetans' may improve their lives, material well-being wise. And I think one of the ways is to improve education and integration with the rest of China. And one of the key for the improvement is learning to speak Putonghua, learning to read Chinese. I can see the the better off Tibetans in Lhasa are those who speak Chinese.

You remember our Chinese history lesson, where 秦始皇 was mean and ruthless, yet at the same time he did something of positive and of long lasting value to China - that is the unification of writings and measurements. While at the expenses of the minorities, the standardization allowed easy of trade and literature. I don't think anyone can argue against these long term positive effects, especially we are now still enjoying the benefits.

So in certain situations, standardization (or globalization-like policy), including language, could bring very positive long term benefit.

However, in the case of Cantonese, I think it's not necessary and may not be possible. Cantonese speaking regions are well developed economic wise, and Cantonese speakers, while may not speak Putonghua well, can read Chinese as well as any equivalently educated person in China. The existence of the Cantonese culture does not interfere with the grand national development. In fact the study and preservation of Cantonese can be of great value to the study of Chinese literature. One of my tea friends who teaches Chinese literature in Baptist University once told me that Tang poems 唐詩 sound better in Cantonese when reading outloud, because Cantonese has long root and influence in early Chinese language.

So, long live 掉那媽,頂硬上!

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #26 on: 22 July 2010, 11:36:30 »
Somehow I have the same feeling that reading Tang Peoms in Cantonese sounds better than in Potunghua, as I had tried both before. I really wonder what those poet's accent had in say Tang Dynasty.

Having said that, this type of "globalization" may not go too far. My sister told me a story about her trip to Middle East 2 months ago. In Egypt, she had a cruise on river Nero. That part of river oftens has crocodile around. She saw a little kid sailing on the river by a plank with 2 smaller wooden board as the paddles. The kid drove his little "boat" to their ship and held on the rim of the ship. The ship was driven by motor so that his boat will travel with the ship without paddling.

Then the kid asked to my sister "Spainish?"
My sister replied "No."
"Portuguese?"
"No"
"Germany?"
"No."
"English?"
"Yes"

After the kid confirmed my sister's tongue, he started sing an English song. My sister said after that he would be happy if you could give him some money. Then he will go for another boat and sing another song in maybe another language.

I think, language as a communication media may not need any globalization. The one who relies on it for living will find a way to adapt it. We see lot of people in Guangzhou, like my uncle there, can speak fluent Putonghua. Even us. Most of us had not learned Putonghua in school but most of us now have some business in PRC. We are "forced" to speak and learn accordingly.

Just like what the doctor said in Jurrasic Park, "Life finds its way." ;D

Offline kido

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #27 on: 02 August 2010, 11:07:48 »
Almost miss this topic, just minutes ago I found that the original of 李白《靜夜思》isn't what we've learnt.

We learn:
「床前明月光,疑是地上霜,舉頭望明月,低頭思故鄉。」

and the original should be :
「床前看月光,疑是地上霜,舉頭望山月,低頭思故鄉。」

And surprisingly it was preserved in Japan! The original sounds more natural with Cantonese, and the Mandarin speaker somehow changed it to what we've learnt today, to make it sound better.
 :o :o
Hey, diddle, diddle ! The cat and the fiddle.