Author Topic: Anyone would consider to get e-book?  (Read 107460 times)

Offline oo8

• Quan
Re: Anyone would consider to get e-book?
« Reply #20 on: 10 September 2010, 16:47:36 »
too bad 3.2.2 on i-pad.  put myself in  JAIL!!!!

Mine is also 3.2.2 . . . . . >:(

Offline kido

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #21 on: 10 September 2010, 19:28:32 »

3.2.2 is bad? Why? Anyhow you can upgrade it yourself.  :)
Hey, diddle, diddle ! The cat and the fiddle.

Offline wongyan

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #22 on: 14 September 2010, 08:37:03 »

3.2.2 is bad? Why? Anyhow you can upgrade it yourself.  :)

ipad used to come with 3.2.1 which allows jailbreak.  3.2.2 is the lastest version of OS on ipad that we couldn't do anything about it.
Never stop Learning, Never stop Earning!!
哲人無憂,智者常樂。並不是因為所愛的一切他都擁有了,而是所擁有的一切他都愛。

Offline kido

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #23 on: 14 September 2010, 10:34:17 »
ipad used to come with 3.2.1 which allows jailbreak.  3.2.2 is the lastest version of OS on ipad that we couldn't do anything about it.

Just would like to tell you this site contains all information that you needed. My old iPhone is JB'ed by reading instruction here and dl a lot of software.

In the mean time, you got to wait till JB is available then. ;D ;D ;D  

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: 14 September 2010, 16:32:52 »
What's the purpose of jailbreak?
Get apps free?
Not to provide real personal info to Apple?

Offline kido

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #25 on: 15 September 2010, 10:31:42 »
What's the purpose of jailbreak?
Get apps free?
Not to provide real personal info to Apple?

When iPhone was released few year ago, it was tied up with AT&T, people want to use iPhone with their own carrier.  This was first I heard people are trying to break this 'imprisonment' by JB'ing it.

I think the reason why the mainstream people JB their own iPhones are because they can enjoy free(cracked) software, and download software that are NOT permitted by Apple.  (Well, Apple's AppStore has absolute power to permit whether your software is 'authorized' to be placed in AppStore and AppStore is the only source of software that a non-JB device could go  :( )

For the personal information, I think it's not a major concern as when I bought it, non-JB'ed, I first needed to register in AppStore with my personals, including my credit card number, so that sub-sequential purchase with my iPhone will directly debit to my credit card.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: 16 September 2010, 23:37:41 »
Thanks for the explanation. Grace just got her 愛瘋4, and found that the email program is in sync with the mail program in the big Mac. So Apple somehow already have record of how she setup the mail program in the local computer, and reflect that on the phone.

It's look convenient, but it's also means someone is having copies of your record, most likely without you knowing or explicit authorization. 

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: 16 September 2010, 23:38:58 »
Back to the Kindle. I have been using it for almost two weeks. It's really good for reading.

I also just found out that there is an experimental web browser built in, but not too useful. It's good enough just to read books.

Offline kido

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #28 on: 17 September 2010, 15:50:42 »
Thanks for the explanation. Grace just got her 愛瘋4, and found that the email program is in sync with the mail program in the big Mac. So Apple somehow already have record of how she setup the mail program in the local computer, and reflect that on the phone.

It's look convenient, but it's also means someone is having copies of your record, most likely without you knowing or explicit authorization. 

That maybe, or may not be true. The iTune (on Mac) may just copy the setup information on your Mail (on Mac) and then copy it to the Mail (iPhone) without asking your authorization.... They may not read your mail. 

What I found recently is that Google is trying to read your email, by introducing something called
"Priority Inbox", see the movie here, if they are able to prioritize your mail, then they have to read/scan it.

No matter whichever terms you like, either read or scan, they're going to judge the mails' importance by looking thro' it.  The age of Big Brother is coming.!

Offline q

• Quan
« Reply #29 on: 18 September 2010, 08:04:02 »
Chin, if you sync an i-phone or i-pod with a Mac then everything will be matching.  So, all data transfer storage should be local, unless you have a Mobile Me account.

google has introduced Priority Inbox for Gmail, but I don't think it means they are scanning my mail anymore than they already do to give me targeted advertising.  Personally, I think Gmail is a great product, but I'm mindful that there is always a risk with using the service.  But, I also wonder how secure the data I keep exclusively to my home machines is, given all the holes in OS security.