Author Topic: Anyone would consider to get e-book?  (Read 107477 times)

Offline wongyan

• SBC Old Boys
Anyone would consider to get e-book?
« on: 25 November 2009, 09:42:24 »
Hi there,

just curious if anyone like this? see attached picture pls.
Never stop Learning, Never stop Earning!!
哲人無憂,智者常樂。並不是因為所愛的一切他都擁有了,而是所擁有的一切他都愛。

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
Re: Anyone would consider to get e-book?
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2009, 11:46:45 »
Interesting.....but how much is it??

Just wonder if I would feel dizzy by reading the monitor long..
「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2009, 15:37:55 »
I can see the benefit of the e-book - like easy book marking interesting paragraphies and ideas. And you can bring a few more "books" when travelling without the space of the few books.

But the major questions remains are how heavy is it? how long the battery last? Another unknown is how much my mind attached to the fuzzy feel of handling a paper book?

Also I would think that as ebook device getting competitive, the manufacturer would start cramming features into the little pad, making the software too complicated and too easy to crash. Just look at our cell phones. In the early days, it's impossible to conceptualize that a phone can crash or freeze. Now my phone freezes every few days, with a complete crash every other month or so.

Offline oo8

• Quan

Offline chanchiwai

• SBC Old Boys
  • livelikeafish
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2009, 23:49:53 »
Yan,

they are cool  8) 8) 8)

I like the amazon one....it's look classy & professional, particularly slimmy...

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2010, 01:50:17 »
The market is heating up, even my kid wants one.

With Apple iPad, Google Edition, etc... coming to the market, more publishers are negotiation deals, more promotions, and more people going to buy one.

Anyone had tried?

(BTW a few messages above I said my phone crashed every few days. The crashes has stopped ever since I updated the OS of the phone. Strange.)

Offline kai

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2010, 11:46:30 »
I am still in the old days, still prefer a 'real paper book', especially some magazine with good printing.   :-\
The only limit is your creativity.

Offline kido

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2010, 10:50:50 »
I am still in the old days, still prefer a 'real paper book', especially some magazine with good printing.   :-\

I have the same thinking as Kai, not only for the feeling of holding a book, but on the more important thing that a book should have and the designers usually overlooked: the ability to write something on the e-book. 

When I read a book, I used to write something on the shoulders of the paragraphs, not usually key words but sometimes irrelevant drawings, just to signify "I've-been-there". Or sometimes I just underlined some words on the book. I don't know whether this is a implied feature of e-book, but if not, then it should be a big NO factor for me.
Hey, diddle, diddle ! The cat and the fiddle.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2010, 14:20:46 »
I have the same thinking as Kai, not only for the feeling of holding a book, but on the more important thing that a book should have and the designers usually overlooked: the ability to write something on the e-book. 

When I read a book, I used to write something on the shoulders of the paragraphs, not usually key words but sometimes irrelevant drawings, just to signify "I've-been-there". Or sometimes I just underlined some words on the book. I don't know whether this is a implied feature of e-book, but if not, then it should be a big NO factor for me.

Shouldn't be difficult for a software system. But the problem is when more and more features are added, the whole device may hang more often.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2010, 02:02:45 »
I am moving this topic to the Bookwyrm section, since it's about books and reading...

Anyway, I ordered the Amazon Kindle 3G about 10 days ago. It's out of stock and it will take anothe month before they can ship.
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Generation/dp/B003FSUDM4/ref=sa_menu_kdp33

And a few days after the order, I happened to have someone from the US visiting me. He has an old Kindle. I tried reading books on it. My quick comments:

1. The screen really looks good. Not "Wow" good when you first see a bright color monitor, but it really look like ink on paper.

2. The older one is too heavy to handle for long term reading. The one I tried has the leather cover. The new version I ordered is a bit lighter, and I think I should not put on the leather cover.

3. The big unknown for me is how easy can I flip back and forth. Like the book I am reading now has maps, and many times I need to flip back to visualize the events by reading the map.

I struggled a bit before ordering the Kindle. The main reason is that Amazon can recall any book at their will and I am philosophically against that. But then again, Apple/Microsoft can also remotely disable your iphone/windows, or google may already knows me better than I know myself, or Octopus can track someone's movement already real time...