Author Topic: "360 degree change" and "only happen once every light year"  (Read 21492 times)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Few years back a US TV News anchor was commenting how the President/Government made a "360 degree change in policy direction".

And I just read this today, again about a "360 degree" reversal. 75 replies & counting, and no one mentioned this "minor" error.

race 6 penn national #9 MONCRIEFFE. goes from trainer ANTHONY ADAMO, raced on october 27 in nonwinners goes off at odds of 2-1 gets beat over 16 lengths. horse changes over to trainer DARREL DELAHOUSSSAYE, goes off at odds of 8-1 and wins by over 15 lengths and could have won by more. what a tremendous training job by the new trainer. the stewards ought to reward this man a double gold star for his excellence in training. i am sure the public loves these 360 degreee form reversals without getting explanations for it. i am sure the lines are out the door in penn national waiting to bet the next race there.

And once one guy was making a statement about something rare just happened, and he was saying "This can only happen once every light year or so" with obvious reference to time in that particular context.

Kind of funny.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Re: "360 degree change" and "only happen once every light year"
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2009, 03:20:43 »
Another guy who had a 360 degree change in life style...  And this one supposedly edited by a paid professional editor.  ::)

Offline pen

• Que
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2009, 12:35:33 »
There are people also making similar "minor" mistakes like these. Like many people said "the price decreased by 1 times", which actually means "the price halved".

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2009, 19:47:13 »
There are people also making similar "minor" mistakes like these. Like many people said "the price decreased by 1 times", which actually means "the price halved".

Yes, comments like "this is 100% cheaper than that."

When we are small, we were trained to be aware of the difference between "$30 is 2 times more than $10" vs "$30 is 3 times as much as $10."

Offline oo8

• Quan
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2009, 00:10:13 »
How about the Chinese phrase 贋品?

The famous Encyclopaedia Britannica has a wrong Chinese word .

And the google has it as 贋 . . . .

http://www.google.com.hk/dictionary?langpair=zh-TW%7Cen&q=%E8%B4%8B&hl=zh-TW&aq=f

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2010, 22:28:50 »
I don't know where the put this, so just post it here for now.

I am referring to the headline on top. Either the writer & editor were ignorant of the origin of the word "Crusade", or think that the readers are ignorant enough not to see the irony or misapplication of the word here.

Crusade (十字軍) was Church sponsored armed force fighting wars in the East. It was originally trying to protect the King of Jerusalem from the spreading Muslim influence. (Or simply to attack the Muslims in the nowadays middle East. One of the later Crusades was sort of fighting a private war for the merchants of Medici(?), attacking other Christians of the East Roman Church. Also see this crusade related topic.)

A Muslim, like the Uygur activist in this article, do not go on any crusade. In fact I believe some Muslims are offended by the use of the word even in general context, like "someone is on a crusade to fight local crime."

Offline kido

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2010, 11:21:05 »
And, please see the following link:

http://www.hkatvnews.com/v3/share_out/_content/2010/04/12/atvnews_138949.html

what is the problem? Can you spot it right the way?

抽濕機每日不可以開超過二十四小時,否則有潛在危險。
Hey, diddle, diddle ! The cat and the fiddle.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2010, 17:50:35 »
And, please see the following link:

http://www.hkatvnews.com/v3/share_out/_content/2010/04/12/atvnews_138949.html

what is the problem? Can you spot it right the way?

If I can have more than 24 hours a day, I really don't mind risking the dehumidifier.  ;D