Author Topic: Aspen & Snowmass, Colorado, USA (27 Jul - 13 Aug 2004)  (Read 15906 times)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Aspen & Snowmass, Colorado, USA (27 Jul - 13 Aug 2004)
« on: 09 February 2009, 04:58:45 »
Aspen, and the nearby Snowmass, is best known for its ski slopes.

The area has lots of beautiful mountains for hiking. Good food. Lots of good fun and activities for kids and grown-ups.

We were told that Aspen has only 5 to 6 thousand year-long resident, and up to 15 thousand visitors in Christmas. Lots of multimillion US$ homes in and around the town.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Re: Aspen & Snowmass, Colorado, USA (27 Jul - 13 Aug 2004)
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2009, 05:00:24 »
Aspen Mountain

In the first picture you can see the Aspen town center which is about 20 blocks.

In the town center, you can find lots of expensive brand shops, like Gucci, Dior, Frank Muller, Fendi, Louis Vuitton, Baccarat, Bulgari, etc... And fancy restaurants such as Matsuhisa of the Nobu fame.

Even the free tourist magazines are thick and glossy, like Vogue or GQ.

I also had my worst shopping experience in the US ever. I had purchased a Lexar 512MB 80x CompactFlash card from Walnut House Films in downtown Aspen at about 300% of the market price. Not only was the card expensive, it did not work as fast as advertised and have serious problems that caused me lost files.

On the south edge of the town is the Aspen Mountain, with a gondola and many ski slopes. Waiting on top of the Aspen Mountain is breathtaking views of the nearby mountains.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2009, 05:01:15 »
Aspen Trees

The Aspen area is full of tall pine trees, and tall straight trees like these.

We found out later the name of these trees is Aspen. Don't know if it has any relation with the town's namesake.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2009, 05:02:18 »
Maroon Lake

Maroon Lake is about 15 to 20 minutes drive from Aspen. It's a beautiful small lake surrounded by mountains. The lake area has an easy trail good for walking with kids.

Besides the ducks, we also saw deers.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2009, 05:02:50 »
Maroon Lake

The first picture is taken in the evening, when the air is calm and the lake water flat like a mirror.

The second picture is taken at the same location in mid-day when the sun light is strong and harsh. I think they came at the wrong time, with the tripod and all.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 09 February 2009, 05:03:41 »
Snowmass Rodeo

Snowmass is a small village nearby Aspen. Ski slopes, shops, etc.

The Snowmass Rodeo opens every Wednesday and Saturday.

The first time I ever saw rodeo was the National Western in Denver in Jan 1989, and it was said to be the largest rodeo event. So I imagine Colorado is the heart of cowboy country.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2009, 05:05:27 »
Snowmass Rodeo

The mandatory flag waving in the beginning of the rodeo competition.

I suddenly remember a quote from an american history book that I read recently: "My country, right or wrong."

Sounds very cowboy-ish, doesn't it?

The first competition for the evening is bareback riding, shown here in the second picture.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2009, 05:06:13 »
Snowmass Rodeo

While big cowboy Joe waiting for his term to rope the cow, young cowboys helping to herd the cows to the designated location (with the electric shock stick?)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 09 February 2009, 05:07:02 »
Wedding

OK this picture was not taken in Aspen. We stopped in LA for a few days to attend a wedding before we go to Aspen.

The bride requested a picture in this angle.