Author Topic: Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Cesky Krumlov, Prague, Dresden and Berlin  (Read 53843 times)

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
Re: Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Cesky Krumlov, Prague, Dresden and Berlin
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2009, 12:06:20 »
Dresden, Germany......another nice old city with Elbe river flowing through

Same as most of the old cities I had visited in this trip, they have a palace, square, theatre, church.......etc....

The second pic is the wall art showing all the Kings that had ruled the Germany area in ancient time.......The funny thing is that, after two world wars, most of the old buildings in Dresden were destroyed....EXCEPT this one......the bomb never hit it.........so most of the building here were re-built but not this one.

« Last Edit: 21 September 2009, 12:55:36 by hangchoi »
「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2009, 12:06:55 »
Finally Berlin.......The Parliament building and Brandenburger Gate
« Last Edit: 21 September 2009, 13:01:12 by hangchoi »

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2009, 12:49:50 »
These two building is just next to the Brandenburger Gate....The first one is the US Ambassador.....I took this pic because the day was 911 which their flag was down......

The second one....guess what.....Do you remember a scene that Michael Jackson swung a baby on the balcony of a hotel....here it is......
« Last Edit: 21 September 2009, 13:07:33 by hangchoi »

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2009, 13:15:11 »
Berlin is full of war history.........These 2 pics is not so clear and I knew that when I took them but they have some meaning there.

The first pic shows the place where Hilter suicided, now there are only 2 trees......

The seond one is the so-called "Underground Library". The place was the location where the books were burnt under Hilter's order. After war, an artist built an underground room there with some empty book shelves put inside. At night, a stream of light will go up to the sky and reminds people why they blindly follow Hilter's instructions at that time and how the war hurts us.

« Last Edit: 21 September 2009, 13:46:57 by hangchoi »

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2009, 13:21:30 »
Another historical moment is the separation of East and West Germany........It was signified by the Berlin Wall......

The Wall was down 20 years ago.......some of the wall was removed and road built, some are remained for memorising the event.

The first pic is on the road where the brick indicates the previous position of the wall....My left foot is on the East Germany and my right is on the West....

The second pic is the boundary point between East and West Berlin......

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2009, 13:26:36 »
Again....the two sides of the wall.....

On the east side, more than 100 artists have put their painting on the east side to celebrate the wall down 20 years ago......

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #16 on: 21 September 2009, 13:33:08 »
Whenever people want to go from East Berlin to West or West to East, they have to go through the checkpoint to show their permission.

Checkpoint Charlie is one of these.....A closer look of the checkpoint is shown on the third pic where the first two show the different side of the post, see the pic of the soldier there?
« Last Edit: 21 September 2009, 13:48:20 by hangchoi »

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 21 September 2009, 16:54:19 »
Very nice pictures and explanations. Thank you.

The Vienna Hundredwasser is kind of cool in its own odd asymmetric way, although personally I would like my home to have bigger windows. The ivy-like plant makes it look even more rustic.

I have seen pictures of the golden Strauss before, and thought it was a bit odd but assumed it was just old style. Turned out to be “Asian” style. 

And I can see that the pictures were taken with a small digicam, yet they still turned out very nice. Enough natural sunlight, hand steady, and the horizontal & vertical lines are held up right.

Offline chanchiwai

• SBC Old Boys
  • livelikeafish
« Reply #18 on: 21 September 2009, 19:46:24 »
very nice places & pics....

thanks!!

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #19 on: 21 September 2009, 22:43:16 »
Very nice pictures and explanations. Thank you.

The Vienna Hundredwasser is kind of cool in its own odd asymmetric way, although personally I would like my home to have bigger windows. The ivy-like plant makes it look even more rustic.

I have seen pictures of the golden Strauss before, and thought it was a bit odd but assumed it was just old style. Turned out to be “Asian” style. 

And I can see that the pictures were taken with a small digicam, yet they still turned out very nice. Enough natural sunlight, hand steady, and the horizontal & vertical lines are held up right.

Thanks.....I took almost 210 pics by using this tiny foolish digital camera...........My sister-in-law and one of our friend has their camera equipment of about 30lbs. They have more than 4 different lens, etc...which I don't know the details when they bra bra bra.......And they took about ....I guess 2000 pictures........

They will send me some nicer picture later.......
« Last Edit: 21 September 2009, 22:53:48 by hangchoi »