Author Topic: Beijing 2008 Olympics 到北京看奧運 (Aug 2008)  (Read 92885 times)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Taekwondo Fans
« Reply #30 on: 06 February 2009, 19:42:41 »
Some pictures of Taekwondo fans.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Giant Hammer in the Making
« Reply #31 on: 06 February 2009, 19:43:08 »
The Taekwondo competitions were held in the University of Science & Technology Beijing. The gymnasium was specially built for the Olympics and will remain useful to the University and its students.

Inside the campus is this metal structure. The Chinese character in the middle is "hammer".

The idea was that when the tree in the middle of the hole grow fully, it would fill the hole and eventually big enough to push the metal hammer up. The tree would then become the handle for this giant hammer.

I am not sure I can see the result with my own eyes, as it will take 200 years for the tree to grow fully, according to the sign board.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Olympic Bride
« Reply #32 on: 06 February 2009, 19:43:34 »
In the afternoon of 22-Aug, we went back to the Olympic Greens to see some of the athletics gold medal events.

Right outside the Bird's Nest, a couple was taking bridal pictures. I am not sure they were newly wed or models posing for commercial shots.

Anyway, the photographer wasn't very happy that I was taking pictures of the scene. Otherwise, I may have walked up and ask the couple to look at my lens...

hehe..

Notice the street lamps were also "Bird's Nests"?

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Inside the Bird's Nest
« Reply #33 on: 06 February 2009, 19:43:58 »
We were warned by our friends that the inside the Bird's Nest is very hot and stuffy. It was a feature by design to minimize the effect of wind on the athletes' performance.

Sure enough, when sitting at the 3rd level, it was very hot even though it was late evening.

And tomorrow we would be sitting here again in the mid-day for the men's football final. Yikes!

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Inside the Bird's Nest
« Reply #34 on: 06 February 2009, 19:44:27 »
Among the things that caught my eyes first were the fun or hi-tech gadgets.

Do you know what that little red remote controlled car was for?

Or why is the big red box in the middle of the sand pit?

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Inside the Bird's Nest
« Reply #35 on: 06 February 2009, 19:44:58 »
Well, the red car was the javelin carrier, and the big red box flattens the sand.

BTW see the rows of cameras lining up next to the sand pit? If only I could put my camera there...

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Inside the Bird's Nest
« Reply #36 on: 06 February 2009, 19:46:00 »
Brazilian Maurren Maggi won the gold medal for Women's Long Jump, beating the Russian by 1cm. (See official result)

Right after she got the Brazilian flags from her friends, she asked a Chinese spectator for a small Chinese flag, and did her victory lap carrying both flags.

Even with other final event going on at the same time, she managed to capture lots of attention, and received lots of cheers wherever she went.

A small gesture that brought lots of goodwill!

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Inside the Bird's Nest
« Reply #37 on: 06 February 2009, 19:47:26 »
I think this was the Women's 4x400m relay.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Inside the Bird's Nest
« Reply #38 on: 06 February 2009, 19:47:56 »
One of the medals award ceremonies.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Inside the Bird's Nest
« Reply #39 on: 06 February 2009, 19:48:20 »
Competitors for the Women's 5000m run enter the stadium.