Author Topic: 計得精彩  (Read 58389 times)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Re: 計得精彩
« Reply #10 on: 03 August 2010, 11:55:39 »
I've found a good link, I think it's very suitable for beginners if one finds interest. If I found this link months ago, then it must shorten my learning a lot. Don't know who is the author, but it's definitely useful.

電算機隱藏的祕密

Yes this page has been around for a very long time, explaining the basics of pari mutuel system.

Maybe the author copied some of the concepts from US, and tried to apply to HK, some of the formulas presented  are wrong or in a strang format.

E.g. the very first formula on the page, it should be simply Odds=Si/S, instead of [(Si-1)/S]+1. It's written in such strange format because the concept is translated from US style odds, where the odds is expressed as profit, instead of total return including the cost.

As a result of using US style odds, the expectation formula in the middle of the page is wrong if applied to HK odds.

Offline kido

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #11 on: 03 August 2010, 12:04:21 »
Yes this page has been around for a very long time, explaining the basics of pari mutuel system.

Maybe the author copied some of the concepts from US, and tried to apply to HK, some of the formulas presented  are wrong or in a strang format.

E.g. the very first formula on the page, it should be simply Odds=Si/S, instead of [(Si-1)/S]+1. It's written in such strange format because the concept is translated from US style odds, where the odds is expressed as profit, instead of total return including the cost.

As a result of using US style odds, the expectation formula in the middle of the page is wrong if applied to HK odds.

Yes, agree. I do find it's quite uncomforted for the first few formulas by adding +1 to the odds.... which is very American style.
Hey, diddle, diddle ! The cat and the fiddle.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 09 November 2010, 00:51:30 »
CX Wong just released the pdf version of his book.

You can email him to get the copy and the password. I am leaving a copy here for record.

Offline kido

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #13 on: 10 November 2010, 00:19:18 »
CX Wong just released the pdf version of his book.

You can email him to get the copy and the password. I am leaving a copy here for record.

Oh, thanks.  Just emailed him.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 19 August 2011, 01:20:04 »
English version is out on Amazon. I have my copy but have not start reading...

Offline kido

• SBC Old Boys
« Reply #15 on: 22 August 2011, 23:40:13 »
English version is out on Amazon. I have my copy but have not start reading...

Will you?  You've got and read the Chinese version already.  :D

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #16 on: 10 April 2014, 10:45:32 »
Days ago I read a few pages of this book at your office. I found the first few chapters interesting so I took it away. Will return later.  ;D
「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 11 April 2014, 02:27:53 »
Days ago I read a few pages of this book at your office. I found the first few chapters interesting so I took it away. Will return later.  ;D

Haha, I have the Eng version if you are interested...

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #18 on: 29 April 2014, 11:49:46 »
Will return the book later today.

「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」