Author Topic: Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell  (Read 59384 times)

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
Re: Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell
« Reply #20 on: 02 March 2013, 15:38:54 »
Start to read Tipping Point last night. To me, this one is easier to read than Outliers. I finished 1/3 of the book in 3 hours or so.

It is really a page turner.
「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #21 on: 18 October 2013, 22:59:49 »
Got his new book, David and Goliath. This one talks about how a small business can beat a big giant of its industry. Will queue on my next reading.

That is a epub version, so.......  ;D

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #22 on: 25 October 2013, 20:58:57 »
Read one third of the book. still a good read and it keeps its style and standard. It will not disappointed you if you like his previous books.

Book starts by telling the story of David vs Goliath and analyze why David won. The chapters follows start to elaborate how underdog can beat giant.

It is full of sociology studies as example, particularly if you have kids and are scratching your head about your kids' schooling, you may need to read the first few chapters. It talks about the studies of Class size, Money to kids, How to pick school / university, etc.....

I am still working on it and may write more later......

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #23 on: 04 November 2013, 18:47:59 »
Finished.

Quite a good read and it just happened that the last part of book talked about the legitimacy of power, which I think the government of Hong Kong should take a look (and I noticed that a newspaper article has the same view too).

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #24 on: 12 April 2014, 16:14:48 »
Just finished reading Blink. This one talks about that sometimes our instant decisions are better than our deep thought.

The book has almost the same style, full of stories and examples, it is a good light reading.

I found that this book is almost a book of psychology, which gives a few good account of how our mind work on different things, which makes us come up with different instant decisions. Some decision may be bad but this could be explainable but most good instant decisions are mainly due to our own knowledge, experience and skill.

This book is also good for those who are interested in marketing, especially on the chapter about Pepsi Challenge and New Coca Cola.

Interesting and I found that I had read four of Gladwell's books, but not in his chrono order. I like this one more than tipping point.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
« Reply #25 on: 29 July 2015, 12:46:51 »
Maybe I quite like the style he writes, I just finished reading "What the Dog Saw". Then I found that I bought the whole series of his books: Outliers, Blink, Tipping Point and What the Dog Saw.

This book collects the articles he wrote on the newspaper, again they are easy to read and yet quite inspiring. Loads of social phenomena to contrast some views that we take for granted. Too many intelligence will lead to wrong judgement, the difference between panic and choke, plagiarism, criminal profiling, and the wrong of generalization, etc., all these topics gives a different view to some of the nowadays principles that we use to agree that's truth.

Interesting read. I like particularly the chapter about panic and choke, which gives a good analysis of the difference of these two by using professional tennis player and golfers. It explains totally about my behaviour when I play golf  ;D ;D

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: 14 September 2015, 17:18:22 »
I have all his books, but have not yet read What the Dog Saw