Public Zone 公開區 > Bookwyrm 書蟲天地

Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell

(1/6) > >>

chin:
I read the book review few months ago, and finally got the book earlier this week.

It was a page turner, and I finished the book in two sittings. A good book, and an easy light reading. I will writing some more comment later.

hangchoi:
Just grabbed this book from the airport book shop and read half of it during my flight to Budapest. I think I will finish it on my way back..........

Really an interesting book.....

chin:
Yes, it's an interesting light reading. I picked up two of his books (Outliers & Tipping Point) at the recent promotion. Outliers is more interesting reading for me than the other one.

The book sort of dispelled some romantic believes that someone somehow can change the world sole with his/her own determination and ability. Bill Gates was smart, but if were not born at the right time at the right place.... etc...

The general theme should not be too surprised for people bought up in traditional Chinese culture. The Chinese long ago say that 時勢做英雄 (the era/environment makes the hero) or 謀事在人成事在天 (planning/preparation by people, success by the "heaven") or the idea behind 孟母三遷.

The above statement is by no mean to take any credit away from the author. He's putting the idea in modern context and reinforce the idea - that smart and diligent people still need to be in the right time at the right place to achieve greatness.

The second half of the book went great length to examine how culture & family affect one's achievement and behaviors. I wonder if these observations had any survivor bias?!

hangchoi:
Well, finished it on my way back from Berlin.

This book is particularly useful for some parents, I would say.....

People may not think that  孟母三遷 matters much but this book gives them a qualitative view.

I like the chapter about the three lessons of the lawyer much. Not because it talks about legal profession, but because it states a very true principle of "meaningful work".

kido:
Haven't read the book, but because of this thread, I wiki the book and read the sort of preface.  Later I encounter this article which seems telling the same story as "why elite hockey player born in the first few month of the calendar".

It seems the more we dug from the statistical data, the more inclined in believing to the Chinese ancient wisdom 風水/命運.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version