Author Topic: Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Cesky Krumlov, Prague, Dresden and Berlin  (Read 53844 times)

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
Re: Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Cesky Krumlov, Prague, Dresden and Berlin
« Reply #30 on: 30 September 2009, 22:26:05 »
One of my friend, who are very good in photographing......post his pictures for this trip on the following link.....

http://tabrisyuy.com/

You may go see those pictures....I think he had touched up the pics a bit......
「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Just back from a trip to various cities in East Europe..........

Budapest is in fact a name come from two cities, Buda and Pest. These two cities is divided by the Duna River..............

The left side of the photo is the Old Buda city and the right side Pest. The Parliament building is on the coast of the Duna River....

I am reading a book that has a short side story about John von Neumann, that he was born in Budapest in 1903, and that at the time, Budapest was the 6th largest city in Europe, highly educated populace with 90% literacy, 25% Jews (which may imply wealthy merchant class?). Nowadays, I wonder if many people can/would name Budapest in the first 10 of European cities.

Kind of remind me of Kaifeng (開封) - the subject city in 清明上河圖. It had a million population (probably the largest city in the world at the time) and the capital of Song. Now a 2nd or 3rd tier city in the mainland.

Offline hangchoi

• SBC Old Boys
  • Alcoholic + Golfmania
    • MaJeff's Wine Blog
Well...that's history......it had its shot somehow......

I was told that the ancestors of Hungarian were 匈奴. They kept retreating during the war with Ginghis Khan. A myth said that they kept losing the war with Mongolian and an eagle showed their way to retreat. Finally they reached Budapest and made the place their root. So there are lots of eagle statues in Hungary.

Somehow, if you see the face of a Hungarian, they are quite like those people in 新彊........ :o
「吾心信其可行,則移山倒海之難,終有成功之日。吾心信其不可行,則反掌折枝之易,亦無收效之期也。」

Offline kido

• SBC Old Boys
Well...that's history......it had its shot somehow......

I was told that the ancestors of Hungarian were 匈奴. They kept retreating during the war with Ginghis Khan. A myth said that they kept losing the war with Mongolian and an eagle showed their way to retreat. Finally they reached Budapest and made the place their root. So there are lots of eagle statues in Hungary.

Somehow, if you see the face of a Hungarian, they are quite like those people in 新彊........ :o

That story sounds interesting. I think Hungarian tends not in believing this story, because believing so means they're decedent of losers in the war.  Similar to those Australian, they tends not like mentioning how their grand-grandpa were immigrated to this lonely island from England.  (also similar is how Japanese think where they're from...)
Hey, diddle, diddle ! The cat and the fiddle.