Public Zone 公開區 > Bookwyrm 書蟲天地

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown and his The Lost Symbol

<< < (2/3) > >>

hangchoi:
Finished The Lost Symbol this evening.

It is written in the same style as Da Vinci Code. This time he tries to unveil the mysteries of FreeMason and the scene was set in Washington DC. The story is quite thrilling and moves fast, tho this one has almost 700 pages. However, the scene setting and the codes/clues that Dan Brown put forward is rather similar, even I can guess it right of the final spot hiding the mystery. Despite the story about magical power, it outlines quite clearly about the ritual of FreeMason and some of their views about religion, behaviours, etc. It also incorporates a lot of different scientific explanation and stories, which make the readers found interesting.

It does not pose any conspiracy challenging any particular religion this time but it poses a question as to the true nature of God for whatever religion,  especially nowadays there are a lot of religions doing apotheosis. It rings my bell that recently Vatican is going to put their ex-Pope as Saint.

Quite interesting to read and entertaining.

chin:
One of my friends from my first job is a Free Mason in HK. When I ask him many years ago about the Templar stuff (before the Dan Brown books were popular), he did not seem to have a clue!!!

We had a nice lunch at the Free Mason hall in mid-level.  :)

hangchoi:

--- Quote from: chin on 18 July 2013, 09:41:00 ---One of my friends from my first job is a Free Mason in HK. When I ask him many years ago about the Templar stuff (before the Dan Brown books were popular), he did not seem to have a clue!!!

We had a nice lunch at the Free Mason hall in mid-level.  :)

--- End quote ---

Yes, I know they have a lodge (if I can say that) in mid-level. I don't know whether they are under the same rules as US (I suppose they do) but in HK they don't have (or show) as much influence. Well, one of the requirements for being a Free Mason is that you have to stick in certain religion, which I think I will never be a Free Mason.  :)

chin:

--- Quote from: hangchoi on 18 July 2013, 11:01:13 ---Yes, I know they have a lodge (if I can say that) in mid-level. I don't know whether they are under the same rules as US (I suppose they do) but in HK they don't have (or show) as much influence. Well, one of the requirements for being a Free Mason is that you have to stick in certain religion, which I think I will never be a Free Mason.  :)

--- End quote ---

Yes, my friend says one of the basic requirement is to believe in a supreme being.

hangchoi:

--- Quote from: chin on 18 July 2013, 16:19:06 ---Yes, my friend says one of the basic requirement is to believe in a supreme being.

--- End quote ---

That may be one of the issue that The Lost Symbol tries to put to the reader to think. It says that religious belief should actually be interpreted as believing yourself as god. Whatever the books of different religions like Bible and Koran, there have some hidden meaning to point out that mankind should believe themselves that their mind is their own god.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version