Public Zone 公開區 > Travelogues 遊記相薄

Summer Holiday in USA 美國大峽谷 (Jun 2002)

(1/3) > >>

chin:
In June 2002, we took a 20-day tour to west coast USA visiting LA, Las Vegas & Grand Canyon. All driving.

chin:
In the Getty Center Museum in LA.

The architectures are all very modern. Cannot comment on the collection, as I do not know much about arts.

Good fun for the kids though

chin:
Late afternoon in the Getty Center.

chin:
We drove from LA to Las Vegas then to a small town called Williams in Arizona. The date we arrived at Williams was also the date that the annual Great Race pass through the same town. The race started in San Antonio, TX and ended in Anaheim, CA.

William is quite close (well, about 50 miles or 80km) to the Grand Canyon National Park's south rim. This is my 3rd visit to this town in the past 10 years. Everything seems the same, except for the famous Route 66. In my first visit in Spring 1992, there were sections of Route 66 still open to motor traffic. The road was red-dirt road passing through lots of dense private forest. Occasionally the road ran through small-lake/big-pond. There was not much traffic.

I asked a gas station attendant if the Route 66 is still open somewhere nearby, she told me the roads were all "chopped up". The route can now only be imagined in songs and cheap souvenirs.

chin:
One of the 100 or so antique cars participated in the Great Race.

Quite a few people dressed up in retro-fashion, Chicago gangsters in the '50s, etc. Even the dogs was dressed.

This particular pair won the 5th place in the Sportsman Division and US$1,750 in prize money. The car is '29 Ford Model A Racer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version