Author Topic: Beijing 2008 Olympics 到北京看奧運 (Aug 2008)  (Read 93618 times)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Volunteers
« Reply #40 on: 06 February 2009, 19:49:01 »
One of the "iconic" features of the Beijing Olympics has to be the ever present volunteers.

I couldn't say enough good things about these volunteers. It was a very successful decision by the organizer to mobilize the youth.

We interacted with them daily. We got maps from them in the airport, we got directions from them in the help desk in the hotel lobby, we talked to them in their Wang Fu Jing booth, we saw them in the security checks, and they took us to our seats.

Most of them are young college age kids, all very keen to help, always smiling, yet playful just like any kids of their age. I believe all these smiles and helpfulness are genuine from their belief in the cause.

I strongly speculate that the anti-Chinese sentiment in the West during the torch relay, and the devastating earthquake in Sichuan actually fuelled the young people's resolve to put on a good show, and not letting anyone to spoil their moment of pride and glory.

Hopefully these experiences will help this generation grow up with confidence about their own place in the world, with a broader world view.

Back to the Bird's Nest.

A team of volunteers marched into the field. What's in the blue box?

Well, turned out they are the keepers of the athletes' personal items.

Then they march off with the goodies.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Inside the Bird's Nest
« Reply #41 on: 06 February 2009, 19:49:39 »
The Olympics is as much a big media show as a competitive event.

Rationally I knew that there has to be a very heavy media presence, given that hundreds of millions people in the world can only watch the Olympics through the TV camera lenses.

However not until I saw it up close with my own eyes before I can visualize the vast amount of space and resources reserved for the media, and that the schedule work around TV camera but not just the athletes' readiness.

Before the 5000 meter run, the athletes were introduced one by one. As expected, when the lone Chinese runner was introduced, there was thundering applause and cheers. I think the audience did not really expect her to be in the top finishing order, given the long distance runs are almost always dominated by African runners in recently years.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Inside the Bird's Nest
« Reply #42 on: 06 February 2009, 19:50:16 »
A few pictures of fans.

The German fans in front of us were really enjoying themselves with boxes of beers brought in.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Glories & Tragedies
« Reply #43 on: 06 February 2009, 19:50:53 »
Glories & Tragedies in Women's 4x100m relay.

The very hopeful Jamaican girls had their dreams shattered, because of failure to pass the baton. The British also failed in the same spot.

A minute later, the Russian golden girls did their victory lap.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Usain Bolt
« Reply #44 on: 06 February 2009, 19:51:29 »
Bolting to gold in Men's 4x100m relay.

One of the star athletes in the Beijing Olympics had to be Usain Bolt, the Jamaican who broke the 100m world record with ease.

I was happy to found out that he was the third leg in the relay and right in front of me. All eyes were on him, especially he dropped the baton in the previous day.

He received the baton well this time, and it was amazing to see him run. Jamaica was perhaps 3rd or 4th before Usain Bolt's run and after he got the baton, he passed them all easily in 50 or 70 meters.

And of course the customary victory bolt afterward.

BTW from my observation, the Japanese team, who got the bronze medal, was the one who reach out to shake hands with the other two winning teams. Then have the victory laps together.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Jump for the Record
« Reply #45 on: 06 February 2009, 19:52:21 »
The last event for the evening was Men's Pole Vault.

Pictured here is the eventual gold medalist Australian Steve Hooker.

To be honest, at the stadium I did not think he would win eventually, because he each time he tried a new height, he would fail on the first two attempts and only succeed on the third trial. (See Official result)

After he was confirmed to win the gold medal at 5.90m, his friend or coach threw him an Australian flag, for his victory lap around the arena.

But in 5 seconds or so, he put the flag down, and announced that he would try a new height to break the Olympic record.

He did it on the third trial. Big applause for the true sportsman.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Men's Football Final
« Reply #46 on: 06 February 2009, 19:53:03 »
23-Aug-2008.

This was our last day in Beijing. We would be leaving tomorrow before the closing ceremony. All the flights leaving Beijing were full until the 27th.

This was the final match between Argentina and Nigeria.

Right outside the Olympic Greens, there were lots of people holding stacks of cash asking to buy our tickets. We later learned that there were over 89000 people attended the football final.

We had very good seats in the bottom section. At the back of our seat is an opening to the outside ground thus we had some breeze from time to time. (What happened to the "design for no wind"? Perhaps it was just another urban legend.)

We went to the football final with another couple who came to Beijing just to see this. They had a very troubled journey to the football final, all because of a small personal over-sight. That's a side story to be told somewhere else, and I hope my kids would learn a lesson from other people's misadventure. :-)

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Men's Football Final
« Reply #47 on: 06 February 2009, 19:53:42 »
A causal survey could tell that Argentina was the favorited team. There were much more white & blue than green & yellow.

The blue & white cheering team in the second picture was probably organized - well equiped in uniform and sit together.

The opposite side of the stadium had another group with similar setup except the colors were green & yellow.

The security was probably the heaviest for all events we attended. Poor guys who had to sit under the hot sun for the entire time, and can only facing the audience. They seem to be well disciplined. Eye sore to some, force of stability to the other.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Men's Football Final
« Reply #48 on: 06 February 2009, 19:54:19 »
What kind of sports party can do without cheerleaders?!

This group came before the match.

Offline chin

• Global Moderator
Men's Football Final
« Reply #49 on: 06 February 2009, 19:54:54 »
And then the kick off for the first half.